Amon Amarth will be releasing their brand new studio album, Jomsviking, on March 25 in North America through Metal Blade Records, and internationally via Sony Music. The album was once again produced and mixed by Andy Sneap (Accept, Arch Enemy, Megadeth, Testament).
This time around, the band chose to devise their first conceptual masterwork -- described as "a tragic tale of love and revenge" -- an original, epic story that takes place inside the world of the Jomsvikings, the legendary order of mercenary Vikings.
"The Jomsvikings were a shadowy and legendary sect of Viking mercenaries, as shrouded in myth now as they were when they fought across Europe and the Middle East," states frontman Johan Hegg. "Ruthless and deadly warriors who fought for the highest bidder, their code was simple: Show no fear. Never retreat. Defend your brothers, and when called upon, avenge their deaths. I felt we were finally ready to use their story as the jumping off point for an Amon Amarth album. The Jomsvikings and their world is the background for the story of a young man that is in love with a girl but unfortunately she's being married off. He accidentally kills a man when this happens and he has to flee - but he swears to have revenge and win her back. He can't let go of the past. He feels that he's been wronged and his life has been destroyed. The way the story evolves is not a happy story."
- First Kill
- On A Sea Of Blood
- One Against All
- Raise Your Horns
- The Way Of Vikings
- At Dawn's First Light
- One Thousand Burning Arrows
- Vengeance Is My Name (bonus track on digibook, digital, LP, and viking ship editions)
- A Dream That Cannot Be (feat. Doro Pesch)
- Back On Northern Shores
Regarding Doro Pesch making a guest appearance on the song A Dream That Cannot Be, Hegg says, "It was a great pleasure to work with Doro. She's a very nice person and did a great job! She was actually the only one we could picture singing this song."
The band have also unveiled the new music video for the album's first single, First Kill. The epic video -- directed by Darek Szermanowicz and produced by Poland's Grupa 13 -- was filmed on location in both Gohrweide, Germany and Warsaw, Poland. Watch it below.
Amon Amarth will launch their 2016 North American tour on April 7 in San Diego, CA, making their way through 35 cities across the U.S. and Canada. Entombed A.D. and Exmortus will serve as the supporting bands. Pre-sale tickets are now available, with tickets going on sale to the public this Friday (January 29) at 10 AM, local time.
All confirmed dates for the tour follow.
- 7 - San Diego, CA - House of Blues
- 8 - Phoenix, AZ - The Pressroom
- 9 - El Paso, TX - Tricky Falls
- 10 - Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theater
- 12 - Dallas, TX - House of Blues
- 13 - San Antonio, TX - The Aztec Theater
- 15 - Houston, TX - House of Blues
- 16 - New Orleans, LA - House of Blues
- 17 - Atlanta, GA - Tabernacle
- 18 - Tampa, FL - The Ritz
- 20 - Charlotte, NC - The Fillmore
- 21 - Silver Spring, MD - The Fillmore
- 22 - New York, NY - Best Buy Theatre
- 23 - Boston, MA - House of Blues
- 25 - Rochester, NY - Water Street Music Hall
- 26 - Burlington, VT - Higher Ground
- 28 - Quebec City, QC - Imperial
- 29 - Montreal, QC - Metropolis
- 30 - Toronto, ON - The Danforth
- 1 - Cleveland, OH - House of Blues
- 2 - Detroit, MI - St. Andrews
- 4 - St. Louis, MO - The Pageant
- 5 - Chicago, IL - The Riviera Theatre
- 6 - Lawrence, KS - The Granada Theater
- 7 - Denver, CO - The Ogden Theater
- 9 - Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium
- 10 - Minneapolis, MN - Varsity Theater
- 12 - Winnipeg, MB - The Garrick
- 13 - Saskatoon, SK - O'Brian's Event Centre
- 14 - Calgary, AB - MacEwan Ballroom
- 16 - Vancouver, BC - The Commodore
- 17 - Seattle, WA - Showbox Market
- 18 - Portland, OR - Roseland Theater
- 20 - San Francisco, CA - The Warfield
- 21 - Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern Theater